Standard Forestry Operations

Use this service to apply for a Standard Forestry Operations licence if you are felling or harvesting within 20 metres of a badger sett, which is in current use, between 1st July and 30th November.

First make sure that your works meet the licence conditions (opens in new tab).

If your works will not meet the conditions, you must apply for a non-standard SFO licence.

Who can apply?

The applicant must be the person in charge of carrying out or overseeing the works, for example the Forestry Manager.

If the application is approved, the applicant will be the licence holder.

Warning The licence holder is liable to criminal proceedings if the conditions of the licence are not met. This could include imprisoment or a fine.

If you need assistance with your application, contact the NatureScot Licensing Team.



  • 01463 725 364
  • Voicemail service. We aim to respond within 2 working days.

Find out about call charges

What is a badger sett?

'Badger sett' means any structure or place which displays signs indicating current use by a badger.

What is current use?

The presence of field signs such as bedding, fresh spoil heaps, signs of recent digging, hair, latrines, or footprints in or around the potential sett or evidence of badgers entering or exiting the structure or place in question would indicate 'current use' of the structure / place by a badger.

Back to top